Sunday, November 7, 2010

Lit. Circle Reflection



In humanities, I am reading Hatchet by: Gary Paulsen, along with Carl, Manuel, Jamie and Alexandra. During Lit. Circles we have to share our passages, questions, connections and most importantly thoughts on the book. This blog post is a reflection on my groups first Lit. Circle reading Hatchet.


1. How your discussion helped your understanding of the novel.
I think that when my group was sharing our thoughts on the book it showed us that there is more than one way to look at something. In other words it made people, like me, look at the book from a different point of view. For example, I thought that Brian was a bookworm but, some other people in my group thought that Brain was very social and that he did not want to go see his dad.


2. Connections that you made during your discussion.
Everyone had different connections. But, most of our connections revolved around feeling scared. I think all of us could relate to Brian and how scared he would have been. We probably have not been in his position but maybe somewhere close to it. His position being having to take over the controls of the airplane and flying it, seeing that the pilot was dead. All of us just couldn't wrap our brains around that fact that a 13 year old boy had the guts and determination to take over and become the pilot 


3. Predictions
I predict that the plane will crash in a lake and Brian will have to survive in the jungle. I also predict that the hatchet will help him survive. I think that Brian might also run into animals and that will cause problems in the book. Brian also might make some friends weather it is native people or some other survivors or animals. I cannot help but think that this novel/story is similar to Call It Courage by: Armstrong Sperry, where the main character (Mafatu) had to survive by himself on an uninhabited island. His only friends/companions were animals. 


Here is a movie trailer a student made:





Graphic courtesy of:



No comments:

Post a Comment