Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why does Jonas find the instruction about lying so disturbing?


In the novel I am currently reading called The Giver by Lois Lowry, Jonas was given the job
of becoming the new Receiver of Memories. The question I chose got me thinking about the
book in a different sense, that is why I chose it. Enjoy!

Why does Jonas find the instruction about lying so disturbing?

I believe that Jonas found the instruction to lie so disturbing for a couple of reasons.
The first reason is because Jonas lives in an Utopian society, which means lying is a strict rule, that is not mean't to be broken. Jonas probably has never experienced lying or it's consequences. The second reason is because of a personal opinion. I think that Jonas' was bought up to believe lying is a horrible thing to do. For example Jonas said, "He had never, within his memory, been tempted to lie. Asher did not lie. Lily did not lie. His parents did not lie. No one did." (Pg. 71).

The first reason is because Jonas lives in an Utopian society, which means lying is a strict rule, that is not mean't to be broken. "What if they had all been instructed: You may lie?"(Pg. 71). I also said that Jonas has never lied. I think Jonas doesn't understand that there is something called a white lie. A white lie is a small lie that hopefully doesn't hurt anyone, plus it can be for a good cause. All Jonas knew was the lying (in general) was bad-and against the law. Thats just the way he was raised. Jonas thought that lying was rude, disrespectful and above all against the rules. That is probably why Jonas was a little startled when reading the list of instructions, that told him, lying was okay. Although, I can't see the point of lying in such a perfect community, but to everything perfect there is a flaw. I don't think Jonas will use the advantage of lying, because Jonas seems like the kind of person who, no matter how hard they try, can't break a law.

The second reason of a personal opinion. I think that Jonas' was bought up to believe lying is a horrible thing to do. Jonas probably thinks that lying is like committing a crime. "Finally he steeled himself to read the final rule again. He had been trained since earliest childhood, since his earliest learning of language, never to lie."(Pg. 70). The best way to describe something is by making a connection, so I am going to connect Jonas' society and ours. In our community when we break a law, there are consequences, the same goes for Jonas' society. I think Jonas is still scared to lie, even though he was given a free pass. For example, if someone told you that you could do anything against the law, without facing any consequences, would you take up the offer? Or would you politely deny?

All in all, I think Jonas was disturbed by the instruction to lie at times. "Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness..."(Pg. 71). Mainly because it was against the rules and no one else did it. I also think Jonas doesn't believe there is anything to lie about. Jonas was raised to stick with community rule and doesn't feel the need to go rebellious now.

All sources:
~ middlegradeninja.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. I diffidently agree with you Abhi. I did my blog post on the same question and I had similar answers to you. I like how you explained everyone of your reasons and gave lots of evidence. I think that in time Jonas will learn to lie with ease. But I liked your blog post alot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you have a good point. Jonas Doen't feel like he needs to lie, it's not something people do. You had wonderful word choice, and your descriptions were informative but not so informative that I begged you to stop writing. You wrote it perfectly, and I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete