Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Archeologist, Historian or Geographer?

If given the chance to choose a Social Scientist job (Archeologist, Historian or a Geographer)I would love to be a Historian. I would like to be a Historian because I think it would be interesting to uncover the hidden messages in ancient peoples diaries and writing. I have always been very curious about  events that have happened in the past.

One of the most famous diaries that I have read, is "The Diary of a Young Girl" written by Anne Frank. The Diary of a Young Girl is about Anne Frank and her struggles during World War II.  Did you know another famous author that kept a diary was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson also known as Lewis Carroll or the ingenious mind behind "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".  Whats really interesting is that some of his diaries that he wrote from 1856-1862 have gone missing or have had pages torn out of them. Some Historians believe that his family tore out pages to respect his privacy . Around this time Lewis Carroll was 22-32 years old.

Although I would prefer to be a Historian, my second choice would be  an Archaeologist. I love the Indiana Jones movies and I would find digging up old bones and artifacts to be fascinating. I could visit places like Timbuktu, Egypt and Albania. Also, in the current book I am reading the main characters parents are Archeologists! The book is The Alchemyst by Michael Scott.


This is a YouTube video exploring ancient Timbuktu manuscripts:






13th century manuscript 
Anne Franks diary
 A famous Greek historian who is  known as the "Father of History".



Information Source: 
1.Information for text ~  http://www.articlesbase.com/non-fiction-articles/famous-historical-diaries-258739.html
2.Manuscript Graphic ~  http://www.library.calligraphy-mvk.ru/content/view/366/215/lang,english
3. Cover of Anne Frank's Diary ~ missdidie.com
4. A statue of the historian Herodotus ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodotus
  

No comments:

Post a Comment